How long should your YouTube videos be? You may have heard two conflicting ideas about the length of your YouTube videos:
1) That you need to keep people watching as long as possible, and
2) That you need to cut out all the fluff. But how do you keep people interested in what you’re saying for a long enough amount of time? And how long should that be? Gwen has done a lot of research on this, and today she’ll share her insider secrets.
HOSTS: Video Marketing Live is hosted by:
– Dane Golden of VidiUp.tv | LinkedIn | Twitter | YouTube
– Gwen Miller LinkedIn | Twitter | YouTube
MENTIONED IN THIS VIDEO*:
- MorningFame – Find out what topics will rank for smaller channels.
- TubeBuddy – Excellent overall channel management and topic research.
- VidIQ – Great helping you find the topics that can get highest views.
- Rev.com – Get manual captions for better YouTube SEO.
- Keywords Everywhere – Good for also ranking YouTube videos on Google itself.
EXERPT FROM THIS EPISODE:
“It’s really dependent on the type of content you make and what your audience interests are. But if you really want to be long-term successful in terms of I want to make this into a business, you probably should be thinking about what can I be making that can better fit into YouTube, kind of push to these longer and longer watch times…”
“Okay. So what I’m going to do – you said 20 minutes is ideal?”
“Ideal, I would say it’s 10 to 16 minutes.”
“Great. So what I’m going to do for 16 minutes is I’m going to do this. I’m going to say exactly this: ‘Blah, blah, blah.’ Is that going to work?”
“I’m just going to keep saying it for 16 minutes.”
“Absolutely not! And that’s kind of the interesting thing because it was not wrong in those two to three minute videos. That fast pacing is very necessary, but what has been miraculous – and I love watching creators because they always figure out how to make things work, right – but what they’re doing is they’re making 15 minutes of just super-interesting fast-paced content. Now, it’s a lot of work…”
“‘Blah, blah, blah, blah,’ is not going to work. You actually have to have value. It’s not just the length is what you’re saying.”
“But now you have to be giving value for so much longer.”
* AFFILIATE LINKS:
This description may contain affiliate links. When you click them, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. We only recommend products and services that we’ve used or have experience with.